How Long Does it Take to Install a Patio Door?
The answer to this question is: it depends! If you’re a homeowner trying to install your patio door yourself, the project could take days. However, an experienced professional home remodeler can usually install a patio door in a few hours.
Your patio door is the gateway between your indoor and outdoor living spaces. But, when you start to see gaps between the door and the frame, fog between the glass panes, or you start to feel a draft coming through the door, you know it’s time to replace your patio door.
Just how big of a project is it? Will your patio be shut down for weeks or just a few minutes? Understanding the length of a remodeling project is a key component to getting it done right.
Steps to Installing a Patio Door
The good news is that installing a patio door is not a big or difficult project by professional remodeling standards. It does, however, require a number of steps to do it correctly. Here are the basic steps to installing your new patio door:
- Remove your old door – Remove the old patio door and measure the opening to make sure everything is square.
- Prepare the sill – Before the new door can go in, the sill, or base of the frame, needs to be put in place.
- Assembling the new door – The new door needs to be put together before installation.
- Drill holes – The new door may need holes in different spots than your old door.
- Put the door into place – The door needs to go onto the sill and then be pushed into place. Some minor adjustments may be necessary.
- Make sure everything is level and plumb – Check all of the angles to make sure the frame is installed properly.
- Add caulk – A little bit of caulk helps to seal the door to the frame.
- Attach jams – The side and head jams should go into place using screws or nails.
- Apply trim – The trim adds to the finished look of your door.
- Make final adjustments – Make needed adjustments to the sliding panel.
These steps may seem daunting to the DIY homeowner. It’s a project that could string out for days. But, it’s all in a day’s work to a professional crew. Actually, installing a new patio door may be just a few hours of work. This doesn’t include the time it takes to find and order the door you need. Having a certified, professional crew install your patio door is the best way to ensure that it will work properly for years to come.
Dreamstyle’s Expert Installation Service
Dreamstyle Remodeling’s trained and certified technicians install patio doors with pride in workmanship and professional customer service. We’re America’s No. 1 remodeler with over 60,000 successful projects completed. Financing options are available. To learn how quickly we can install custom patio doors for your home, contact us today.